How to pair tea and cheese
Like other classic pairings; wine and chocolate, beer and sausage, Champagne and strawberries, bringing together tea and cheese offers a sublime high note. The versatility of tea fits a variety of occasions and will conjure up many a mood with its array of possible combinations.
As with wine, tea qualities can vary depending on terroir – where it’s grown, the soil, the weather. And like wine, think of tea in categories of light to dark. Use the favorites you already know; if you like Sauvignon Blanc with brie, try a white tea with brie. Basic pairing principals hold true, sweet with salty, and like to like.
There are countless options – jump in and discover your new favorite combination.
- Silver Needle White Tea with a soft brie
- Bai Mu Dan White Tea with figs (fresh or dried) and manchego
- Savory Green Tea with goat cheese (enhances the creamy notes in both)
- Sencha Green Tea with asiago (grassy notes of both come forward)
- Dark Pearl Formosa Oolong with an aged Gouda
- Organic Darjeeling with Comte
- Ceylon Black Tea with provolone
- Keemun Black Tea with aged cheddar
- Lapsang Souchong Black Tea with blue cheese